3.17.2011

Luck of the Irish? Nope, I'm not Irish... But I am LUCKY!

Today for good ol' St. Patty's day I had plenty of adorable green, leprechaun, shamrock, Irish, etc... activities for my cute little first graders to do. Our celebration was a blast and I was constantly laughing at the funny things they do and say. The last activity that I had the little nuggets do was write a story about being lucky on a cute paper that a leprechaun held. Most of the kids had these typical things: I'm lucky to... have a wii, play basketball, go to the movies, and so on for 8-10 lines. One little girl came up to me to get her spelling check and her paper simply said, "I am lucky to have a family that loves me and that I love too."

It took everything I had inside of me to not start crying. This little girl has had a harder life in her short 6 years than I will probably ever experience in my whole life, and she just recently got adopted into an amazing family and I am so happy for her. I usually would tell students that they had to make their papers longer because it wasn't as long as I said it had to be. But I just told her that it was perfect and that she was very lucky and that I was happy that she recognized that.

After that I started thinking about the things I have in my life that make me lucky. I have so many of them and I need to start recognizing them more often. Here just a few of them out of the hundreds that I have. I am lucky to have...

Michael Troy :)
My Mom
3 gross, stinky, wonderful brothers
Great step-siblings, their spouses, and their kids
My Dad and Step-mom
The greatest friends I could ever ask for
An education
Amazing (almost) in-laws

There are so many more things that I could post here, but I will spare you that. Anyway, I hope that everyone can realize how lucky they are for the things in their lives!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

2 comments:

Dasha said...

Aww that story is adorable. Gotta love kids. And in a totally unrelated note, I've realized that I call Butch "Michael" all the time now. I think it comes from hanging out with you guys so much.

wjhans said...

Thanks Morgan for including us in things you are grateful for. We feel the same way about you! You are so great for Michael and he loves you so much and I know you love him too. I also think it's cute how you call him "Michael Troy". Because when I say it, it means he's in trouble. :)